Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gratitude: the essential first tool

In 2002, I had a stretch where everywhere I turned the focus was on gratitude: psychological research on being grateful, practices of gratitude, songs, scripture, radio talk shows, until I finally got the message: gratitude matters. Gratitude is central to emotional and spiritual well-being. So I'm going to ask you to retrace with me, as much as I am able, some of those things that woke me up.

I heard about the gratitude journal or read about it as a recommendation from Oprah Winfrey, and even heard about it at a work seminar, and then I started reading Sara Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. She introduces the idea of a gratitude journal. "All the other principles that can transform your life will not blossom and flourish without gratitude." (Jan. 14 entry) ... The gratitude journal is not optional.

Get a blank book or journal or notebook. Each day write down five things that you are grateful for. She does it at night. I start my day with it. Some days they are big, most days they are simple joys. Sometimes five things come very quickly, and I add a sixth or seventh. Other days it takes a while and I have to resort to flipping back through to remind myself of what I have to be grateful for. What matters most is doing it regularly. It took a couple of tries, but I have now been doing this practice for five years. I have notebooks that are cheap spiral memopads and fancy blank books. I prefer small ones to fit the pocket of my overnight bag, because no matter where I am, this is part of my morning ritual. It could be a nighttime ritual too.
But just do it!

No comments: